Registering a move from abroad

Have you found an address in Leiden and do you know the date of your arrival? Then make an appointment with the municipality in advance.

Do you plan to live in the Netherlands temporarily? Then you also should make an appointment with the municipality within 5 working days after your move.  This is called a ‘declaration of first registration’.

Conditions for a declaration of first registration

  • In the next six months, you plan to live in the Netherlands for at least 4 months and your current address is in Leiden.
  • You have a valid residence permit or you are a citizen of a country in the European Economic Area or Switzerland.
  • You should come to the counter in person. You will have to make an appointment first.
  • Are there any family members moving with you? For example, a partner or children? They too should make a separate appointment in order to file a declaration of first registration. 

Moving from the Netherlands Antilles?

Are you moving to the Netherlands from the countries Aruba, Curaçao and Sint Maarten or the special municipalities of Bonaire, Sint Eustatius or Saba? Then you must be able to show a change of address notification to the municipality of Leiden. This will proof that you have deregistered from one of those countries or special municipalities. It confirms that you are moving to the Netherlands.

Student at Leiden University

Are you moving to the Netherlands to study at Leiden University? At the beginning of each semester (September and Februari), Leiden University holds special town hall registration sessions for newly-arriving students. At other times of the year, please make an appointment directly with the town hall. You can find detailed information about this subject on the university’s English-language website.

Registration of Non-Residents

Are you not a Dutch citizen and do you plan to stay in the municipality of Leiden for a maximum of 4 months? Then you need to register in the Non-residents Records (RNI). You will then be issued a citizen service number (BSN). You need a BSN to work or study in the Netherlands.

Are you going to live in Leiden and will stay in the Netherlands for a longer period than 4 months? In that case you should file a declaration of first registration.

Make an appointment

Take the following documents with you to the appointment

  • a valid passport or identity card (not a driving licence)
  • a copy of your rental- or purchase contract registered in your name.
  • are you planning to move in with someone, please take a written confirmation of the main tenant of your address with you, as well as a copy of his or her identity document.
  • travel document or another document that proves your nationality.
  • birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce certificate or a certificate that proves that your marriage was dissolved through death (where applicable). You may need to have your birth certificate authenticated.
  • certificate of deregistration (only necessary if you are moving from the countries of Aruba, Curaçao or Sint Maarten or the special municipalities of Bonaire, Sint Eustatius or Saba).
  • other documents with data about your civil status.

Fill in the form for your declaration of first registration:

After you fill in the form, you will receive an e-mail including a link. You can activate the link to plan an appointment online.

For further questions, please call  14 071 or from abroad: +31 71 516 51 65.


The registration is free of charge.

How long does it take?

You will be registered straight away and your citizen service number (BSN) will be issued at the same time.

Do you already have a BSN number? Then the re-registration will take at least 5 working days.

The  Leiden International Centre provides information and services and organizes registration appointments at the municipality for highly skilled migrants, intra corporate transferees, scientific researchers, entrepreneurs, recent graduates, and EU citizens with at least a Bachelor’s degree along with their families. Make an appointment. Please note that the Leiden International Centre charges a fee for their assistance and additional services.

Have you registered a change of address? Then the municipality will check the new data to prevent errors and address fraud. Do you want to check at which address you are registered? You can do this using your DigiD at MijnOverheid . You will then receive confirmation at your new address.

Personal Records Database (BRP)

The municipality of Leiden will process your new address data in the Personal Records Database (BRP). This database contains general personal data that the Government uses to provide various services. You can find more information on how the municipality uses the Personal Records Database and how to review your own registration here.

Address investigation

Is someone wrongly registered at your address? In that case, the municipality can launch an address investigation. Read more at Adresonderzoek (Adress Investigation) (in Dutch). Contact the municipality by phone via +31 – 71 5 16 51 65.

Postal address

Do you not have a permanent domicile or residence? Or are you residing in an institution? Then you can register at a postal address in the municipality of Leiden under certain conditions. Read more at Briefadres (Postal address) (in Dutch). Contact the municipality by phone via +31 – 71 5 16 51 65.

The BRP law (Personal records database) obliges the municipality to register you at the location where you live or stay. Even if your residence does not have an official residential function. The registration does not mean that you are allowed to live there. Whether a location has a residential function or not is recorded in a so-called zoning plan (bestemmingsplan).

Why would the municipality want to register you on a location without residential function?

The BRP law obliges the municipality to register you at the location where you are staying. In case of an emergency, like a fire, it could be essential for the fire brigade to know whether people live in that building. The fire brigade will get this information (and other emergency services) from the BRP.

What will happen when you are registered at a location without residential function?

According to the law the Municipal Executives of Leiden (B&W) have to take measures in this case. In juridical terms this is called ‘principle of reinforcement’. B&W could impose a penalty of payment. The resident is obliged to move within the set period. If the resident does not comply, then the penalty has to be paid. The municipality can also decide to vacate the illegal residence. The costs involved should then be paid by the resident. Even if the resident of the property without residential function did not find alternative accommodation, the municipality is allowed to vacate the residence.

Social District team

Do you have question or concerns about your finances or living conditions? Please contact the Sociaal Wijkteam.

Are you in the Netherlands for the first time and do you want more information on how to become a Dutch citizen, on social integration, work and learning the Dutch language? You will find more information on the website Work in NL.