Registering a move from abroad

Are you moving to the Netherlands and do you plan to live in the municipality of Leiden? Then you should make an appointment with the municipality within 5 working days of your move.

You should also do this if you plan to live in the Netherlands temporarily. This is called a 'declaration of first registration'.

Regulations for a declaration of first registration

  • In the next six months, you plan to live in the Netherlands for at least 4 months.
  • You have a valid residence permit or you are a citizen of a country in the European Economic Area or Switzerland.
  • You should make an appoint to go to the counter in person.
  • Are there family members who are also moving? For example, a partner or children? If so, they must come to the appointment with you.

Moving from the Netherlands Antilles?

Are you moving to the Netherlands from the countries of Aruba, Curaçao and Sint Maarten or the special municipalities of Bonaire, Sint Eustatius or Saba? Then you must be able to show a change of address notification to the municipality of Leiden. This is proof that you have deregistered from one of those countries or special municipalities. It shows that you are moving to the Netherlands.

Student at Leiden University

Are you moving to the Netherlands to study at Leiden University? You can find detailed information about this subject on the university’s English-language website.

Expat in Leiden

If you are a highly skilled migrant, intra corporate transferee (ICT), scientific researcher, entrepreneur, recent graduate (orientation year highly educated persons), or an EU citizen with at least a Bachelor's degree, you and your family can register with additional services at the Expat Centre Leiden. Registration at the ECL is not mandatory, however, the additional services are tailored to give you a good start and stay in the Netherlands.

Registration of Non-Residents

Are you not a Dutch citizen and do you plan to stay in the municipality of Leiden for a maximum of 4 months? Then you need to register in the Non-residents Records Database (RNI). You will then be issued a citizen service number (BSN). You need a BSN to work or study in the Netherlands.