Integration in the Netherlands
Are you going to stay in The Netherlands for a longer period or permanently and do you come from another country? It would be nice for you as a newcomer to be able to participate in the Dutch community as soon as possible.
The government therefore thinks it quite important that you will learn the Dutch language and customs. That is what we call integration. In that way you feel at home sooner and will be able to find a job more easy.
Do you have to integrate as a newcomer?
Integration is required, but not for every newcomer.
Integration is not required when you have the nationality of:
- A country in the European Union (EU)
Integration is also not required if you are:
- Under the age of 16.
- Older than the date at which you are entitled to receive your state pension.
- Living in the Netherlands for 8 years or longer when you were at school-age.
- Temporarily staying in the Netherlands for a study or work (for instance as an expat).
- If you have Dutch diplomas, certificates or other evidence of a certain course/training in the Dutch language.