Registering as a non-resident in the Netherlands

Are you not living in the Netherlands but do you have a relationship with the Dutch Government? Then you are a non-resident. For example, a cross-border worker, seasonal worker, foreign student or somebody who is living abroad and receiving a pension from the Netherlands.

Are you a non-resident or are you staying in the Netherlands for less than 4 months? In that case, you should register in the Non-residents Records Database (RNI) at the municipality of Leiden. You will then be issued a citizen service number (BSN). You need a BSN to work or study in the Netherlands.


  • You are working or studying in the Netherlands for 4 months or less.
  • Are you staying in the Netherlands for longer than 4 months? Then register in the municipality in which you are living/planning to live.
  • Children younger than 16 can only register in the RNI together with a parent, guardian or carer. Take an original birth certificate or an extract (English or multilingual) with you.

Counter appointment

Call +31 - 71 5 16 51 65 for an appointment to register in the RNI.

Take the following documents with you

How long does it take?

It will be ready straight away. You will be registered and immediately issued a citizen service number.