Registering as a non-resident in the Netherlands (RNI)

In case you do not live in the Netherlands, but you do have a relation with the Dutch government, you are a non-resident. For instance when you are a seasonal worker, a cross-border worker, a foreign student or someone living abroad and receive a pension from the Netherlands.

Are you a non-resident or will you stay in the Netherlands for less than 4 months? Then please register at the Non-residents’ Records Database (RNI). You can register at 1 of the 19 RNI desks in the Netherlands. You can register at the RNI desk in the municipality of your choice.

You will receive a citizen service number (BSN). You need a citizen service number in order to be allowed to work or study in the Netherlands.


  • You are in the Netherlands for a maximum of 4 months
  • In case you will stay longer than 4 months you should register in the municipality where you live or are planning to live.
  • Children younger than 16 years of age can only register in the RNI together with a parent, guardian or carer. Please be sure to bring an original birth certificate or an extract (in English or multi-lingual) with you.

Register Change of address

Please use the Registration form for non-residents to register your new foreign address in the RNI.

More information

Go the the website for more information.