Registering a birth
Have you had a baby? Register the birth at the municipality within 3 days. Register your child in the municipality where the child was born. If your child was born at the LUMC you can register online. Otherwise, make an appointment at the counter.
Was your child born at the LUMC? And at least one of the parents has the Dutch nationality? Then you can register online.
- Has the other parent acknowledged the child before the birth? In this case the other parent can register the birth online.
- The parent registering the child has DigiD.
- The parent registering the child has a birth certificate from the LUMC.
- Do you have a certificate of acknowledgement? Send it to us as an attachment.
The municipality will process your online registration within 3 working days. You will receive a confirmation.
Registration at the service desk
To register the birth at the service desk, please bring:
- A valid proof of identity: your passport, European identity card or Dutch alien document.
- A declaration from the doctor or midwife.
- If you are not married or registered partners and you acknowledged the child before the birth, please bring the certificate of acknowledgement.
- If you did not acknowledge the child before the birth, you can do so during the registration of the birth. You can find more information on the page Acknowledging a child (in Dutch).
- Please bring your marriage certificate if you would like your child added to this record.
The municipality will process your registration at the service desk immediately.
Below you can choose the appointment button which applies to your situation. Some appointments may take more time than others.
- If one or both parents do not have the Dutch nationality, please make an appointment using this button:
- If both parents have the Dutch nationality, please make an appointment using this button:
Registering a birth after death
Has your child died before or after the birth? We would like to help you personally. Please call 14 071 to make an appointment.
Naming your child
• By registering the birth of your child, you officially record the child’s name.
• If the parents are married or registered partners, the child will automatically get the other parent’s surname. Do you want to choose the surname of your child? You can find more information on the page Choosing your child's last name (in Dutch).
• If the other parent has not acknowledged the child before the birth, the child will get the mother’s surname.
After the registration
• After registration we will issue a birth certificate. We will register your child in the Personal Records Database (BRP).