Registering a birth
Leiden municipality has relocated. Do you have an appointment to apply for something or to pick something up? Our new address is Bargelaan 190, 2333 CW Leiden.
Have you had a baby? You should register the birth with the municipality’s registry of births, deaths, marriages and registered partnerships within 3 days. This is how you officially register this new resident and his or her name.
- The father or mother of the child should register the birth. This can also be done by the second mother if it involves a lesbian relationship.
- You should register the birth with the municipality in which your child was born.
- You should register the birth within 3 working days after the birth of the child (not counting the day of the birth). Did you fail to register the birth within 3 working days? Then you can be fined.
Is the father, mother or second mother unable to register the birth? Then the birth can be registered by:
- a person who attended the birth – for example, a family member or friend
- an adult resident in the house if it was a home birth
- the head of the hospital, prison or other institution where the birth took place
Can none of these persons register the birth? Then the birth will be registered by or on behalf of the mayor of the municipality in which the child was born.
For more information you can also take a look at the English website of Rijksoverheid.nl.