Legalize foreign documents for use in the Netherlands

If life events have taken place abroad, you are obliged to register them in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP) of the municipality where you live. This may concern, for example, a birth, marriage, death, divorce, acknowledgment or adoption. These documents are also referred to as source documents.

A foreign document from a country outside the European Union is not automatically legally valid in the Netherlands. Therefore, check on the website of the central government whether your documents require legalization or an apostille.

How long does it take?

Legalization or verification of documents can take several months. This depends on the local authority that has to legalize or verify the documents.

Make an appointment

After you have had the documents legalized or verified, you can make an appointment with the municipality to have them registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP).

Make an appointment

More information