Integration of new arrivals and existing residents

Have you moved to The Netherlands or have you been living here for a while? And do you have a residency permit? If so, you are required to integrate.

You will be provided with Dutch language classes and lessons on Dutch society. You will have 3 years to complete the courses. Afterwards an exam will be required.


Most people moving from outside the European Economic Area (EEA), Turkey or Switzerland will be required to integrate. This is also required for members of the clergy such as:

  • Rabbi
  • Imam
  • Preacher
  • Priest
  • Religious teacher

Dispensation from mandatory integration

You can request dispensation from your duty to integrate. If so, you will not be required to complete your integration. Check the DUO website for further explanation on the conditions for dispensation.